New information is still coming out of the bombshell interview between Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Readers will recall that at the time of the interview’s airing, Prince Philip was in the hospital. Now, Gayle King has revealed what would have happened with the interview should Prince Philip have died.
Gayle King addresses fallout from Oprah with Meghan and Harry
The fallout continues, following the controversial interview between Winfrey and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Gayle King spoke about the interview on her March 11 episode of her SiriusXM show, Gayle King in the House.
According to King, there was a plan in place to postpone the airing of the interview should Prince Philip have passed away. During the show, Gayle said, “Just so you know, they had done that interview before Prince Philip went into the hospital.” While the interview had been filmed and scheduled prior to Philip’s hospitalization, there was a plan in place. She said, “And if something, God forbid, had happened to him, the interview would not have run at this particular time.”
Prince Philip in hospital
The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London on February 16. Following a month of treatment for an infection, Prince Philip had a successful procedure for his pre-existing heart condition. He was released from the hospital and returned to Windsor Castle on March 16.
The interview with Oprah aired on March 7. At one point, Meghan said she had called Queen Elizabeth II to check in on Harry’s grandfather. Meghan said that morning, she woke up earlier than Harry and saw a note from someone from their team in the UK. The note said the Duke of Edinburgh had gone to the hospital.
Markle said she picked up the phone and called the Queen, just to check in with them. She added, “That’s what we do. It’s like being able to default to not having to every moment go, ‘Is that appropriate?’”
Why Prince Harry and Meghan stepped back from royal duties
In the interview, Harry and Meghan discussed their decision to step back as senior members of the royal family. Markle recalled at one point that there was a time when she considered suicide. She told Oprah that she went to the “institution,” telling them she needed to go somewhere to get help. Meghan said she had never felt this way before and she needed help. However, Markle was told that she couldn’t and that “it wouldn’t be good for the institution.”
Markle also discussed what happened when she was pregnant with Archie. During her pregnancy, they had the conversation that Archie would not be given security and would not receive a title. Meghan said that a member of the family had talked about how dark Archie’s skin might be when he was born. Oprah later confirmed that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were not involved in the alleged racist discussions.
Some good news did come from the interview, as Meghan did a gender reveal, stating that their second child is a girl.
Gayle King speaks up on her radio show
As noted by E! Online, in King’s radio show, she addressed Harry and Meghan’s decision to speak out. Gayle said that Harry and Meghan have been through so much over the last three years and have tried to work it out privately. The couple tried to get help, but nothing was working for them. Due to this, King believes the Sussexes wanted people to have some understanding about why they made the controversial decision. King believes that Meghan and Harry have accomplished that.
So far, there has been little feedback from the royal family, other than a statement issued on behalf of the Queen. Dated March 9, it read that the “whole family” is saddened to learn the full extent of how “challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.”
BREAKING: Buckingham Palace releases statement on behalf of Queen Elizabeth following Prince Harry and Meghan's interview, saying, "The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan." https://t.co/6k5NR1em41 pic.twitter.com/TCekWLqQau
— ABC News (@ABC) March 9, 2021
The statement read that the issues raised, particularly that of race, were ”concerning.” It further read that while some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously. These ”will be addressed by the family privately.”
The statement concluded by saying “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much-loved family members.”