Prince William has said on Thursday that the royal family is not racist. In fact, he was the first British royal to comment on the accusations made by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Under normal circumstances, the royal family will often ignore such questions. However, William took the opportunity to respond to the explosive allegations from the Oprah Winfrey interview.
Queries relating to Oprah with Meghan and Harry interview
Following the interview between Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry and Meghan, Buckingham Palace has been struggling to quiet criticism. Harry and Meghan allege in the interview that Markle was a victim of racism. Further, it was alleged that she received callous treatment while a working member of the royal family.
Prince William was visiting School21 to mark the students’ return to classrooms after the national lockdown. As Prince William, 38, walked with his wife Kate by his side, he responded to reporters, saying they are “very much not a racist family.” Many believe Prince William’s brief statement isn’t enough.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s move to the US
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stepped away from their royal duties last year and moved to California. The couple stated they wanted to escape the British media and live a normal life. Meanwhile, the pair has been in the headlines ever since, especially relating to the interview.
Markle told Oprah Winfrey that she felt isolated and miserable as a working member of the royal family. This was so much so, that she had suicidal thoughts. Meghan also quoted Harry as saying a member of the royal family was concerned over the color of her baby’s skin, prior to Archie’s birth.
Buckingham Palace responds to Oprah’s interview
Besides Prince William’s statement, Buckingham Palace responded to the charges with a 61-word statement that critics deemed “too little, too late.” The palace issued the written statement 36 hours after the interview first aired on Sunday.
The written statement was issued in the name of Queen Elizabeth. She wrote, “the whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.” It continued, “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”
BREAKING: Buckingham Palace releases statement on behalf of Queen Elizabeth following Prince Harry and Meghan's interview, saying, "The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan." https://t.co/6k5NR1em41 pic.twitter.com/TCekWLqQau
— ABC News (@ABC) March 9, 2021
Meghan and Harry’s allegations, along with Buckingham Palace’s response have sparked conversations around the world. These conversations relate to racism, mental health and also the relationship between Britain and its former colonies.
As noted by the Associated Press, many people are criticizing Buckingham Palace for attempting to handle the controversial issue privately. As the monarchy is supported by taxpayer money, the issue should be addressed publicly.
“We’re very much not a racist family” – Prince William pic.twitter.com/JP8kKT9R3m
— Myra (@SussexPrincess) March 11, 2021
Prince William and Prince Harry’s relationship
The interview also revealed cracks in the relationship between Prince William and Prince Harry. However, when Oprah asked Harry about his relationship with his brother, he said, “Time heals all things, hopefully.” As for Prince William, he said on Thursday that he hasn’t as yet spoken to his younger brother following the interview. However, he said he will do so.
For those who have not yet seen Oprah with Meghan and Harry, the interview is available on CBS.com.